"Broken Sally"

I am learning everyday that we should approach life humbly.This is the blog of a guy learning how to Love. Most of the posts will center on Love (Holiness). However some may speaking more generally to Christian living or life in general, which all boil down to love for me anyway. A Lot of what is said here, is said from the context of The Salvation Army to which i have commited my life. But being a "broken sally" my words are in no way offical. I am just a guy who wants the best for his church.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Back Together

"Papa San" sang a song back before he went Christian that said

"we are back together again and it's gonna be rough, oh so rough but we still gonna make it."
This is how i feel about Blogging it can be a spiritual discipline. Its kind of a cross between Journeling and Testifying. You are giving a witness while at the same time using a personal semi intimate format. Some people's blogs include elements of other spiritual disciplines as well. Larry Ashcraft for example tends to be a platform for some good iron sharpening Iron honest discussion.
All Spiritual disciplines require discipline. I tend to have the personality of a "Crusader" (I realize the baggage that comes with that word) I see a need (or think is see a need) and completely spend my self in trying to fill it. This is very helpful for achieving specific goals but it is not terribly healthy for other aspects ones life.
For example in The Salvation Army we the local corps raise a significant portion of their yearly income by ringing bells at those red kettles that can be seen in front of stores or on urban street corners. This money cones in small amounts mostly 1$ bills but it comes without strings from people who trust us to be good stewards of their money no matter how small their donation. Because this money has not stipulations it is very helpful for a local corps like ours that is trying to start new programing. (It is easier to raise money for programs that already have a working model. You have something to show and often a proven success record.)
This year we set our goal significantly higher than last year with the hope that the new money raised would allow us to begin our "Academic Intervention Program" For the last month in a half of 2007 i thought of almost nothing but kettles. I literally Lie in bed crunching numbers and figuring out what we needed to average the following day in order to achieve our goal. I personally worked 13-16 hour days and in the end we reached our goal. 35% over last year at a time when the economy is down but...
I have to ask myself what reaching the goal cost me personally: My Family life suffered, my Prayer life suffered, My devotional life suffered, and yes... My Blogging life suffered as well. It is easy for me to say "It's a new year I'll can start fresh and get back on track". And I will Start fresh with myself , my family and God. I find that this is not good enough. I am a Salvation Army Corps Officer next year will bring another Christmas effort I will have another important project or program that will be close to my heart and i will again be tempted to put my service of my substance. That is a temptation that right now i am committed to overcoming. But for now the best i can do is Sing to My God, My family and myself:
"We are back together again and it's gonna be rough oh so rough but we're still gonna make it"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring