"Broken Sally"

I am learning everyday that we should approach life humbly.This is the blog of a guy learning how to Love. Most of the posts will center on Love (Holiness). However some may speaking more generally to Christian living or life in general, which all boil down to love for me anyway. A Lot of what is said here, is said from the context of The Salvation Army to which i have commited my life. But being a "broken sally" my words are in no way offical. I am just a guy who wants the best for his church.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Church is great "they Swear"

I have been a fulltime Officer (Pastor) with The Salvation Army for about 4 years. But I started preaching more than 10 years ago when i was 18 have been. In our Congregation I am only afforded the opportunity of preaching every 2-3 weeks, my wife as well as many of our body also preach actively. My wife and I strongly feel the need to affirm the gifts of our Soldiers (active church members who make a commitment to a lifestyle of holiness and service) and we think that it is import to present the preacher a one of (not one above) the community of faith.

But I love preaching. The week or two before a sermon, when I become immersed in a particular passage is when I have had some of my most significant spiritual breakthroughs. Before I offer the Word I first listen to the spirit speak it into my own heart. Sometimes this is a struggle because the word i am preaching is hard for me to hear and leads me to a course of action and or repentance.

The joy I find in the week or more of preparation does not in any way diminish the "fun" I have on a given Sunday morning. It's like being a QB in the big game. Just like many athlete i am always sick to my stomach before its "my turn". But once I give that opening prayer i get in the zone. (most of the time)For me preaching is a conversation between three parties: the Preacher (me) the Congregation, and the Holy Spirit. All three parties are free to speak up during a sermon and often do. For instance last week we were working through the call of Abram in Genesis 12:1 and I asked the question would you give up everything that makes you feel at home: People, country and family. and just go simply because God said God with little more instruction. After a second someone shouted back if i was sure it was coming from God. (a reference to a sermon from a few weeks earlier titled "God or Gas"). There are no rhetorical questions at our worshiping community if you ask it be ready for an answer.

Another great part of preaching at the Stapleton Salvation Army is the mix of people in the house. Last Sunday we had:
West Indians from: Antigua, Trinidad, St.Thomas
African American
Liberian
Indian
Jewish
Albanian
Grown Men Dealing with addiction
Teens fresh of the street
sweet little ladies who have loved Jesus all their lives

We have a truly mixed congregation, which also brings some interesting idiosyncrasies. Last Sunday after the line: "God said Go and he went and at 75 years old he left everything to follow God." I heard a couple a amens and then out of the blue I heard some one say just above a whisper. "Damn!!!" Trying to hold back my amusement i wondered it came from one of the Men, the teens or maybe a sweet little old lady. Regardless i knew i was in the right place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring